Monday, March 01, 2010

The Writer's Tarot- A New Series




The Writer's Card

*****

Rape.

Murder.

Out here, he could be anyone capable of anything.

If only the moon had not been piled beneath so many dark clouds that she couldn’t see her own feet. If only she hadn’t been diving blind. It was broad daylight when she jumped. Seconds later the world had gone pitch black and she was plummeting through a raging thunderstorm. Cold pelting rain and crooked explosions of light and falling, falling, falling through a howling aerial maelstrom.

A violent slap from a sudden blast of air and she jerked sideways and began to spin.

Falling, falling, and then the chute opened.

The harness yanked hard and caught her so much by surprise she almost passed out.

Down, down, down, rocking and swaying as she dropped with freezing cold air rushing over her like a fast moving river.

She prayed.

A flash of pain in her left ankle as she hit the ground and crumpled like a crash test dummy colliding with the steering wheel. 

Broken. It might be broken. Maybe a bone was sticking out of the side of her leg. Maybe just a fracture.

She was too afraid to look after she cut the chute loose and hobbled all of ten steps before the man came up behind her in the dark and pressed a gun to the back of her head.

“I need a doctor,” she gasped.

“Lady, I don’t even have a band-aid,” said a raspy voice.



She felt her foot slide through wet earth and her hands slipped down the wet tree bark.

“Help me,” she said just before her face hit the ground and sloppy mud pushed into her nose.

excerpted from "A Matter of Timing," by Ferrel D. Moore
.


*****


Roll the dice.  Deal the cards.


Stimulus.  Response.


The language of the brain is images.


Meaningful images become stories.  Elegant, elusive Vesper has a lovely example of how to draw exquisite poetry from images on her blog Chick with a QuillNevine has such a grand gift for matching her bracing, emotionally charged prose to stunning imagery that I often wonder which comes first, the image or the words.  Catvibe and K. Lawsen Gilbert are so masterful with both art and poetry that they are really spell-weavers.  And there is a story in each of Lana's masterpieces that reminds us why it is that words most flow from imagery.

But let's spend some time together looking at an interesting way to "juice" our writing by using the Tarot and a few other esoteric tools.  It's easy to do.  It's fun.  And, best of all, it gets results.


A few housekeeping details before we begin.  First, I have worked with this idea for many years, and was preparing to write a book on the topic when I learned that someone else already had!  her name is Corrine Kenner, and it's a marvelous piece of work.  It's comprehensive, well thought out and filled with instructive and interesting examples.  Corrine is also a gifted writing instructor, who builds writing exercises, guidelines and commentary throughout.  So, although I would have liked to have written my work before bumping into hers, I'm so impressed with what she did that I was compelled to recommend it to you.


My approach to the Tarot and its application is different than Corrine's, yet we both employ the same principles of using the characters and concepts of the cards as a means to establish and develop characters, themes, storylines and other elements for our work.


Have any of you read "The Fool's Run," by the popular John Sanford?  Is main character, a thief named Kidd, uses the Tarot not as a fortune telling device, but as a method to get his mind engaged in evaluating situations for a gaming perspective.  It's an interesting read by itself, but its slant on using the Tarot to get the mind going is interesting.


But enough of all that.  Let me show you one way I use the Tarot.  Do you remember the three part mystery I started a few weeks back?  I wrote parts one and two and posted them, then held back on part three to handle day to day life, etc.  But now I'm ready for Part Three.  Here's how I'm going to write it- I'm drawing a card at random from the Tarot deck to represent the third and final part of the story, and I will make that cards symbolism the conclusion to the mystery. 



Come back this weekend and see how I finish the story using the card.  See if you can guess.  Here it is:




Two of Swords

44 comments:

Travis Cody said...

I don't know anything about Tarot, but this sounds like an interesting way to prompt oneself. I'm looking forward to the end of the mystery.

Rick said...

You know, if I had thought this through, Travis, I would have asked you to write it!

Nevine Sultan said...

Rick, now you're really teasing us with this image. I'm very intrigued by the fact you're using a tarot card as inspiration for the final "act" in your mystery story (which I've been holding my breath to read, by the way). I would have never connected a tarot deck to writing at all, which is why I can't, for a second, guess how you would use that image in relation to any part of your story. I look forward to seeing how you're going to do that. That'll be fun... We all draw on different things for inspiration, but this is truly original!

Nevine

RK Sterling said...

Very intriguing. I've used the Tarot in a story before, but not as the inspiration for one. I like this idea, and am curious to see how you've used it.

Rick said...

I'm glad you like the idea, Nevine. With your talent, I think before we're through you'll find it a fascinating technique for unveiling stories from your subconscious.

Rick said...

I'm putting it to use right now as I write the stories conclusion, Kate. Wish me luck!

Charles Gramlich said...

Our electricity was out for a while and Lana just came up with some great photos using candles and reflections. Amazing stuff, which I imagine she'll post at some time.

She also knows how to read the Tarot and has taught me some of it. I haven't used it in a story but there is a real wealth of imagery there that could be used for sure.

Spy Scribbler said...

That's wonderful! I need to pull out my Tarot cards. I feel like giving a reading to my story! Would that work, LOL? Worth a try. It could use a little guidance.

Lana Gramlich said...

Shucks, hon. You're too kind. :)

the walking man said...

There are so many different kinds of grease for the wheels. Tarot is as good as any I suppose, it is after all the smooth movement of the wheels and not the type of grease used in them that counts.

Rick said...

Hey, I've learned a lot from your pictures, Lana.

Rick said...

Charles, I'd really love to read a story of yours that uses Tarot imagery. In fact, that would make my day!

Rick said...

Yes it would, Natasha. I know it sounds a little eccentric, but the answer is that yes, it will work. The core idea is to be able to look at your story from a random position and.... well, I'll tell you more in the next several postings!

Rick said...

I think you're right on the money, Mark. Keeping the wheels moving is the first element of getting to a destination (after knowing where you'd like to go!)

Akelamalu said...

I used to read Tarot years ago but got out of the habit. I'm intrigued that you use the cards are prompts for a story - great idea and I love what you've come up with already!

Thanks for visiting me and taking the time to comment, it's always good to meet new bloggers. :)

Rick said...

Akelamalu, I'm so glad you came by. I'll be back to visit you soon.

TALON said...

Rick, what an interesting way of inspiring the conclusion of a mystery - and is any card quite as intriguing as the Two of Swords? A neat selection. I'll have to read the other two parts and will really look forward to how your mystery plays out.

Rick said...

Yes, you're right, Talon. The two of swords is one of the most interesting cards in the deck. And it lends itself well to mystery...

Vesper said...

This is fascinating, Rick. I have a pack of Tarot cards at home. They're so beautiful and intriguing. But I don't know what to do with them. I'm looking forward to learning a few "tricks" from you. :-)
Your method of finding an ending to your story makes me think of Edgar Wallace's mysterious plot wheel... I can't wait to read the third part.

Rick said...

Hi Vesper!

I do hope you'll enjoy experimenting with this. The cards are so beautiful that for a visual person like yourself, it will be a very interesting experience. And yes, I'm very interested in reading the end of this story, too!

Middle Ditch said...

I was drawn into the world immediately by your writing. This is full of great potential. I look forward to be taken on a wonderful and mysterious journey. Thank you.

Rick said...

Don't laugh, Monique, but someone suggested I podcast the whole mystery when it's done. I'm going to have to email you to learn about how to do it- nobody better to ask than the Mistress of Middle Ditch!

Middle Ditch said...

I am definitely not laughing Rick, I think it's a brilliant idea. What computer do you have? We have a Mac each and it has Garage Band. We use that to record. Garage Band also has a limited choice of sound effect which we sometimes use. We record on MP4 (video) which we then, after editing and adding sound effects, convert to MP3 (radio or music). I use a grand WE, but it's David who does all the hard work. I'm merely the writer. But do e-mail if you have questions. David is brilliant in doing this and will be most willing to help you. I am the tiny little helper when Helen is not available.

Rick said...

I've only got a PC! What do I do now, Monique? Help. I'm going to email you and David.

Sarah Hina said...

This almost reminds me of Rorschach tests, Rick. See an image--and just react. It's amazing what stories we're capable of wrapping around images. But the Tarot is more interesting, because there's such a rich symbology already surrounding the cards.

I'm intrigued. Can't wait to see what you do with the Two of Swords! :)

Rick said...

Me, too, Sarah!

Shauna Roberts said...

A fascinating approach. I look forward to this series.

Akasha Savage. said...

"I need a doctor," she gasped.
"Lady, I don't even have a band-aid," said a raspy voice.

Love it!

Kathryn Magendie said...

I'd love to step around in your head some - I mean, I do by reading, but, I'd love to get in there and see all these images and words and thoughts and ideas as your synapses snap crackle pop!

Rick said...

Hi Shauna. The more I work with different imagery, the more interesting I find the Tarot.

Rick said...

I have a built in amusement park in my head, Kathryn.

Rick said...

Hi Akasha! The excerpt is from a 2,500 word short story, but I have to say I'm thinking of turning it into a novel. Glad you liked it.

Lisa said...

The Tarot card you picked is most appropriate. I think you are on the right track and looking forward to the crowning point!

Deb Shucka said...

I'm really looking forward to reading the results of your Tarot choice, and am intrigued by the book. There's a lot of power in Tarot - I love the idea of using it as a writing tool.

Loved your excerpt as always.

Rick said...

Working on it right now, Ocean Girl.

Rick said...

Thanks, Deb! Now I'm back to finishing the short mystery which I think I'll post tomorrow night or Wednesday.

Tyhitia Green said...

I'm not really familiar with Tarot cards, but this was certainly a very vivid excerpt, Rick. Cool.

Margie said...

Hi Rick
Thanks for your visit!
I shall be back to read your ending.
This was a fascinating read!

Margie :)

Rick said...

Glad you liked it, Demon Hunter! I've never actually sent the whole story out for publication, but I think I'll do that later this year. By the way, I'll be around to visit you again tomorrow.

Rick said...

Margie, I'm having the most fun ever trying to match my ending to the meanings of the card. It's a fun exercise!

Barbara Martin said...

Tarot cards tap into one's higher consciousness, and using them to help a flagging story along is pure genius, Rick.

Two of Swords: justice and tension. An interesting resolution.

Rick said...

Thanks, Barbara! I'm finding this series to be rewarding for my own writing and I hope you do, too?

By the way, how goes your writing?

Catherine Vibert said...

So fun to read this. This is the third time this week that The Fool has crossed my path. I won't bother you with the esoteric thoughts that are entering my mind because of this coincidence. I do think it is a fantastic idea for coming up with characters however. Somehow your two of swords also reminds me of other esoteric coincidences this week. Can't wait to see what you come up with . I'm so behind, I have to go back and read all three parts. When you post it, be sure to link to all three so I can get there find the others.

Rick said...

Hi Cat! I wish I knew how to link posts... it must be hidden somewhere in the arcane secret knowledge of Blogger. I'm going looking for it.