Wednesday, March 18, 2020

The White Werewolf



Well, I'm back after a 5 year hiatus in writing and publishing.  I suffered a series of strokes due to, believe it or not, diabetes, which I didn't know that I had.

I also didn't know that I was having strokes until the final big one hit.

My son took me to the hospital at my wife's request because I just didn't sound right.  Like before, I was vague, had trouble concentrating, but this time, I was having trouble speaking, too.  I was, as they say, royally screwed.

When I woke up about 12 hours later, they told me I had a stroke brought about by diabetes, and I would have to be on injections of Humalog for the rest of my life, followed by a nightly injection of Lantos.  I would also have to take a host of pills (6 of them) forever.

Yikes. 

But worse than that, I couldn't talk, and they told me that I might never be able to again.  And, of course, since my right side was impaired and I couldn't think straight, writing was out of the question.  In fact, it was highly doubtful that I would be able to go the bathroom by myself again.  

That I could have a stroke at such a young age was unthinkable.  It was... unfair.  But, I was lucky to be alive, the doctors said.  I wasn't so sure.

But my wife was adamant, that I could come back from everything.  Again, I wasn't so sure.  In fact, I could barely comprehend her faith.  

She was right.

I've written three novels since my stroke.  The Haunting of Hiram Abiff, The White Werewolf, Werewolf's Revenge, and I'm working on the fourth-- Werewolf's Awakening.  I'm off of the Humalog and Lantos injections and take just Metformin pills and I don't even need that- but I've heard that extends your life.  I just don't eat any carbohydrates or sugar anymore and I'm fine.

I'm also down to just taking three of my medications as a preventative.

Now, I can talk.  I can walk normal.  I can think.

Above all, I can write.

No comments: