Saturday, January 26, 2013

Young Adult SciFi




Before working with the staff at Sam's Dot Publishing, it had never occurred to me that there was such a thing as young adult science fiction.  Or science fiction poetry, for that matter.  But after reading through the various science fiction magazines we now publish, I was amazed at the scope and range of possibilities that sci-fi embraces.

That's why I'm thrilled to be publishing Beyond Centauri.  It's specifically geared toward young readers.  It's my hope that it increase the number of young people motivated to study science.

Most of my reading prior to last year was confined to mystery and suspense.   Working with the fantastic crew at Sam's Dot Publishing has opened my eyes to what I've been missing by ignoring science fiction.

But I'm going to blame Alex Cavanaugh for starting me down the sci-fi trail again.  When I read his CassaStar, I was hooked.


12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad I could hook you! Now look where that has led you. Congratulations on Beyond Centauri.
(And if there are multiple comments, just delete - it keeps giving me an error.)

Charles Gramlich said...

I grew up reading this kind of SF and am glad to see it come back for younger readers. We older writers need them! Good stuff.

Bonnee Crawford said...

Sounds like something I ought to get into, though you could never convince me to study science again. I blame my 8th grade science teacher for that. Nonetheless, science fiction and fantasy aimed at the YA audience sounds like something I dig and it would be helpful for me to read more of that genre. Sci-fi poetry... hmm...

Rick said...

I'm definitely hooked, Alex. Thanks for jump starting my interest.

Rick said...

That's right, Charles. Keep the new readers coming!

Rick said...

Bonnee, I'd love to see you send something over to us if you decide to write a piece.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Looks awesome!!!

Mark Noce said...

Killer cover art:) I know they say don't judge a book by its cover, but covers do sell:)

Ellie Garratt said...

YA sci-fi. Perfect!

Rick said...

Hello Tyrean and I'm glad you like it. We're looking at doing more YA Sci-Fi books, too.

Rick said...

I really like it, too, Mark. First time I saw it I thought maybe I should just frame it and put it in my office because it was so cool. It's one of the reasons I'm looking at adding a YA Steampunk magazine after I check with Margaret Kiljoy.

Rick said...

Ellie, if you're a writer, you're welcome to submit. We're having enough fun with this that I'd like to expand (we already have 17 magazines, but who's counting?)